Tuesday, July 24, 2007

One and one: the company that was good

One and one started out early at the turn of the millenium offering for Europeans what big American hosting and registrar companies were already doing: allowing cost-effective registration and hosting and a lot of user control.

They were robust, customer friendly and always only a telephone call away and it actually cost local rate charges.

Fast forward just seven years. A call to them using Skype costs 10p a minute and you end up talking to an India-based call centre where the operators have to take you through a routine which eats up your telephone money like you would not believe.

But let's get a little specific.

Their control panel allows you to host a domain that is not registered with them simply by changing the settings of the name servers (DNS) and you also have the option to change the MX servers or keep them the same.

Except that when you try to have the DNS servers pointed to them with different MX settings, though in theory you could do it, in practice the control panel does not let you do it, reporting a problem.

I have taken this up with their Support staff (ok, laugh) who usually will send back a canned reply.

Not sure yet what they will send in this case but I am waiting to see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I started with 1and1 when I lived in Germany back in 1999. I bought into a Dedicated Linux Root Server package for CHEAP! I have kept my Server since day 1, and I have been happy to handle everything by myself. I have recently run into a few snags with Domain Registration (they are SLOW) and had to deal with Tech Support. I did not have many nice words to say to their Techs... They immediately pushed me to complaints@1and1.com Good luck with your battles, but I have fortunaltely had good experiences except for having to deal with a Tech who was reading from a script.